Saturday, December 27, 2008

Flu, anyone?


Me, not looking too hot for a Hollywood star.

I tell you it is no fun staying in bed, wrapped with blankets, and drinking a ton of water. But, I am doing this with the faint hope of getting healthy within a few days. Now, I'm not pointing any fingers, but last week, while at a party at my good friend Joan Crawford's home, I did notice a few other people looking a bit "peaked".


Poor Ray, he looks like he doesn't know what hit him!



Robert Montgomery the morning after Joan's party.


Whenever my good friend, Joan Crawford, feels under the weather, she knows whom to call. Here's a pic of her at last week's party:



Luckily for Joan, her very good friend, George Hurrell, can work magic with a lens and manages always "to tweek" an image a bit, so that Joan will always look her very best. This is the picture of Joan that appeared the next day in the Hollywood gossip sheets:



Just received a call from my dear friend, Bette, whose voice I could barely recognize. She thinks that she may have caught some sort of a flu bug at Joan's, too.



In the 1934 article posted in Trouble in Paradise George Hurrell names Joan Crawford as his favourite subject. (Bette thinks this is because there may have been something between them. What do you think?)

This is what Bette got when she asked Hurrell for some backlighting:


And this is what Joan got when she asked for some backlighting:

You be the judge!

2 comments:

  1. i loved reading this!!!!! amazing what a difference retouching can make on a photo eh? you wouldn't recognize your friend Joan on the street if you only saw those 'fixed' pics of hers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true, Viv! I could sure use some of that "Hurrell touch" today!

    ReplyDelete